I don't think too much about what I cannot eat anymore. Being gluten free is just what I am. Sure, there are times when a hamburger on a fluffy, white bun sounds great, but the way I would feel afterwards is enough to keep me away from that meal.
When I do think about eating gluten free is when there is a community meal - at church, at work, at Thanksgiving. And then I feel guilty - making others adapt for me. I always tell people not to worry, I can always find something to eat and I don't want them to change what they were planning too prepare. When a restaurant is involved, I can usually have a salad and the servers are getting very good at letting me know what is safe or unsafe.
This morning I read this post and it made me think. I want to focus on what I can eat not what I cannot eat. I want to be grateful for the abundance of good food that I can put into my body, food that not only doesn't make me sick but gives me the energy and then wellness that I am seeking.
So, this morning, as I was making Black Bean Soup in the crock pot, I stopped for a moment to be grateful for gluten free labeling and sweet potatoes. I am not suffering here.

1 comment:
I completely relate to what you said about eating in public. I hate making others adapt for me, and I can usually find something to eat. And yes. There is an abundance of good food that I can put into my body that doesn't make me sick but gives me the energy and wellness I am seeking. This first month of being allergy-free has been so refreshing. I'm not constantly plagued by stomach aches and intestinal cramps anymore! YAY.
Post a Comment